College is Hard

CATEGORIES: Uncategorized

Going to college is tough. Leaving your friends, family and everything you ever knew is extremely hard. It can also be one of the most rewarding things you will ever do for yourself. Having to make an entirely new set of friends, learning how to deal with the stress of balancing class, work, exercise, having a social life and managing to have enough time to eat and sleep sums up what most of your college experience may feel like. It’s worth it. I promise.

There are a few tips I have if you’re feeling overwhelmed. Midterms just passed and we are on the way to the end of the semester. Whether you’re a freshman trying to make it through your first year, or a senior on the way to graduating, these are a few things that I remind myself almost daily.

Make time for yourself. Find something that you enjoy. Whether that means going to hang out with friends, grabbing a coffee or seeing a movie. Recently, I have really enjoyed going to group fitness classes. I love working out, but sometimes I just really don’t want to do it by myself, or I have to make up a workout. I like to know going into working out that I will be sore. That’s why group fitness classes are awesome. The instructors are encouraging and welcoming throughout the entire workout, no matter where you are at in your fitness journey.

Use a planner/make a schedule for yourself. At the beginning of the semester, I go through all of my syllabi and write down all of the readings, assignments and exams. Then every Sunday I write out a weekly schedule of what needs to get done. I don’t know about anyone else, but I find a little joy in being able to cross something off the list once it’s done.

Remind yourself of the end goal. College (and life in general) can be really overwhelming. When I feel like I’m on the edge of a freak out, I remind myself that there is a reason. I’m so close to the end. Because of the hard work that I have put in here, my dreams really can happen.

These are just a few ways that I find help when all else fails. Remember you’re not alone. You are doing amazing. Keep pushing.

CAMPUS HAPPENINGS

THE BLOG

EXTRACURRICULAR EXCITEMENT